Welcome to the website of the Australian Education Union, the organisation that represents Australian public school and TAFE teachers and education support staff industrially and professionally. The AEU respectfully acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of this land and pays respect to their Elders past and present. We walk with the Traditional Custodians on the journey to a high quality, public education for all.
- Opening Address by Correna Haythorpe, AEU Federal President to the 2015 Annual Federal Conference 20 February 2015
- Teacher training review a missed opportunity to lift standards Media Release 13 February 2015
The Abbott Government's review into teacher training has failed to go far enough in lifting standards in the teaching profession, the AEU said today.
- Anniversary of the National Apology
The 13th February 2015 is the seventh anniversary of the Federal governments apology for the wrongs of the past and the laws and policies that inflicted pain and suffering on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
The children that were removed and separated from their families grew up without an understanding of traditional culture and without a sense of connection to the land and country where they were born. This disconnection from their families, ancestors, communities and culture has had a lasting and negative effect on the wellbeing and identity of Stolen Generations members, and has had an intergenerational impact on their children and families.
The AEU will continue to fight alongside Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for recognition, self-determination and equal opportunities and outcomes.
For more information and ideas to commemorate the anniversary of the apology go to http://www.nsdc.org.au/events-info/apology-anniversary.
- Child asylum seekers have a right to an education not detention Media Release 12 February 2015
The Abbott Government must ensure child asylum seekers are removed from detention centres and provided with an education, the AEU said today.
- Pyne's Independent Public Schools failure shows he has no vision for public schools Media Release 10 February 2015
Education Minister Christopher Pyne needs to admit the failure of his Independent Public Schools policy and shift his focus to equity and properly funding disadvantaged schools, the AEU said today.
- Australian Educator Autumn 2015
- Productivity Commission report more evidence of huge unmet need in disability education Media Release 6 February 2015
Latest figures from the Productivity Commission confirm that at least 100,000 students with disability are not getting support in schools, the Australian Education Union said today.
- Research finds privatised vocational training has lowered quality, given huge profits to private providers Media Release 6 February 2015
New research shows privatisation of vocational training and TAFEs has led to a drop in quality of courses and huge taxpayer-funded profits to private providers.
- Abbott Government must act now to fully fund students with disability Media Release 5 February 2015
Media reports today revealing huge differences in government funding for students with disability at different schools show the need for the implementation of full Gonski funding to meet the urgent need in disability education.
- Leadership change at AEU Federal Media Statement 30 January 2015
From Sunday, February 1, current AEU Deputy Federal President Correna Haythorpe will formally take over as AEU Federal President, replacing Angelo Gavrielatos.
- Low graduation rate of for-profit training college shows crisis in vocational education Media Release 27 January 2015
The extremely low graduation rate of for-profit training provider Evocca, exposed in media reports this morning, shows the dangerous consequences of privatising vocational training, the AEU said today.
- New analysis shows public and private schools delivering same results despite funding gap Media Release 19 January 2015
A new analysis of NAPLAN results shows that public schools deliver similar academic results as private schools, once students' socio-economic background is taken into account.
| Unite for Quality Education – Better Education for a Better World|
Education International is uniting 30 million educators, together with partner organisations and all those that support the public provision of education around the world, to ensure that quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future.
Sign-up and make a difference.
The AEU is committed to protecting your privacy and complies with the Commonwealth Privacy Act and its Australian Privacy Principles in the way in which it collects, uses, stores and discloses the information you provide.
Copyright © 2015
Australian Education Union - Federal
120 Clarendon Street, Southbank, Victoria, Australia 3006
Ph: +61 3 9693 1800 Fax: +61 3 9693 1805
Email: [email protected]