- Victorian TAFE staff and students urge Napthine to reverse cuts and secure TAFE's future Media Release - 16 April 2014
The Australian Education Union will today call for the urgent reversal of cuts to Victoria's TAFE sector at a Parliamentary Committee hearing in Melbourne, and a new policy that supports TAFE institutes across Australia.
- Funding cuts damaging TAFEs, hurting students Media Release - 15 April 2014
Cuts in funding to TAFEs are doing permanent damage to the quality of vocational training in Australia, the AEU told a Parliamentary Committee in Melbourne today.
- New AEU research shows dangerous gaps in school funding, underlines need for Gonski reforms Media Release - 6 April 2014
New research commissioned by the AEU has identified a serious disparity in funding between public and private schools in the lead up to the Gonski reforms.
- What is the Federal Goverment hiding on education funding? Media Release - 3 April 2014
The AEU has written to Education Minister Christopher Pyne raising concerns about the lack of transparency around changes to the Australian Education Act and the lack of certainly around Gonski funding to schools
- OECD Report shows equity in schools funding produces better results Media Release - 28 March 2014
A new OECD Report comparing the performance of different school systems has underlined the importance of equity in school funding.
- Thousands of concerned teachers, schools and parents tell the Senate schools need Gonski funding Media Release - 24 March 2014
The Senate Inquiry into schools funding has received over 2800 submissions from parents, teachers and principals supporting the Gonski funding model.
- Teachers and principals tell Abbott to guarantee six years of Gonski funding for schools Media Release - 18 March 2014
The AEU has called on Tony Abbott to commit to the full six years of Gonski funding as the AEU's “Gonski Vans” arrive at Parliament House today to be met by concerned teachers and principals.
- 2014 Rosemary Richards Scholarship -
Nominations are now open.
- Crunch time for the future of schools funding in Australia Media Release - 14 March 2014
Australian students still have no guarantee of a properly funded school system due to the Abbott Government's refusal to commit to the six-year Gonski school funding deal.
- SA school students will lose under a Marshall Government Media Release - 12 March 2014
Liberal leader Steven Marshall's refusal to back the six-year school funding agreement signed by the Weatherill Government would deny South Australian students the benefit of over $300 million of urgently needed funding.
- Australian Education Union Submission to the Department of Education Review of the
Australian Curriculum February 2014
International Women's Day celebrated on 8 March across the world is as much a rallying point for women's movements as for trade union movements.
This IWD, the AEU, as an affiliate of Education International (EI), joins EI in asserting that education is not only a public good and a human right, it enables the realisation of all other rights, and it empowers girls and women.
However, the right to education is denied to many because of a lack of political commitment, the under-financing of education and the impact of inequality. The intersection of gender with other social identities (such as ethnicity, religion, race, economic status, sexuality, or disability) often means that the most marginalised groups of girls or women are also least likely to have access to quality education.
The AEU supports EI's current global campaign, Unite for Quality Education, which aims to ensure that the provision of a quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future by demanding that governments and policy-makers act to raise the quality of education, and guarantee that it is freely available and accessible to all.
See EI's full IWD statement here.
- Abbott's failure on Gonski hurting kids Media Release - 27 February 2014
The Abbott Government's attempts to destroy the Gonski agreements it promised to honour will make it harder for children across the country to get a high quality education.
- PM must understand: his commitment to Gonski is a commitment to schools funding growth Media Release - 25 February 2014
The Australian Education Union has today condemned the latest move by the Abbott Government to walk back from its clear commitment to Gonski.
- AEU 2014 Annual Federal Conference Statement February 2014
- First education poll for Government delivers Abbott a Fail on Gonski Media Release - 21 February 2014
The first poll on education since the election of the Abbott Government, to be released today at the Australian Education Union's Federal Conference, has a clear message for Prime Minister Abbott.
- Teacher training review fatally flawed Media Release - 19 February 2014
The Australian Education Union says the review into teacher training is fatally flawed from the outset by the combination of the Minister's bias, and his choice for Chair of the Review.
- If Tony Abbott is serious about Closing the Gap in education, he must back Gonski Media Release - 14 February 2014
The Australian Education Union said that the release of the latest 'Close the Gap' report demonstrates once again the need for action on the Gonski school funding changes.
- National Gonski tour launches to keep pressure on PM Media Release - 10 February 2014
The Australian Education Union is today launching a national Gonski tour to build support for action on Gonski by the Abbott Government and state and territory governments.
- Australian Educator Autumn 2014
- Unite for Quality Education – Better Education for a Better World
Education International is uniting 30 million educators, together with partner organisations and all those that support the public provision of education around the world, to ensure that quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future.
Sign-up and make a difference.