- International Women's Day celebrated on 8 March across the world is as much a rallying point for women's movements as for trade union movements.
This IWD, the AEU, as an affiliate of Education International (EI), joins EI in asserting that education is not only a public good and a human right, it enables the realisation of all other rights, and it empowers girls and women.
However, the right to education is denied to many because of a lack of political commitment, the under-financing of education and the impact of inequality. The intersection of gender with other social identities (such as ethnicity, religion, race, economic status, sexuality, or disability) often means that the most marginalised groups of girls or women are also least likely to have access to quality education.
The AEU supports EI's current global campaign, Unite for Quality Education, which aims to ensure that the provision of a quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future by demanding that governments and policy-makers act to raise the quality of education, and guarantee that it is freely available and accessible to all.
See EI's full IWD statement here.
- Abbott's failure on Gonski hurting kids Media Release - 27 February 2014
The Abbott Government's attempts to destroy the Gonski agreements it promised to honour will make it harder for children across the country to get a high quality education.
- PM must understand: his commitment to Gonski is a commitment to schools funding growth Media Release - 25 February 2014
The Australian Education Union has today condemned the latest move by the Abbott Government to walk back from its clear commitment to Gonski.
- AEU 2014 Annual Federal Conference Statement February 2014
- First education poll for Government delivers Abbott a Fail on Gonski Media Release - 21 February 2014
The first poll on education since the election of the Abbott Government, to be released today at the Australian Education Union's Federal Conference, has a clear message for Prime Minister Abbott.
- Teacher training review fatally flawed Media Release - 19 February 2014
The Australian Education Union says the review into teacher training is fatally flawed from the outset by the combination of the Minister's bias, and his choice for Chair of the Review.
- If Tony Abbott is serious about Closing the Gap in education, he must back Gonski Media Release - 14 February 2014
The Australian Education Union said that the release of the latest 'Close the Gap' report demonstrates once again the need for action on the Gonski school funding changes.
- National Gonski tour launches to keep pressure on PM Media Release - 10 February 2014
The Australian Education Union is today launching a national Gonski tour to build support for action on Gonski by the Abbott Government and state and territory governments.
- Australian Educator Autumn 2014
Send every child to school, every day, on time is the message from the Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council to parents and careers across the country.
Leah Purcell (actress) , Steven Renouf (NRL legend) and 30 local students from Cherbourg, Murgon, Moffatdale, Wondai and Kingaroy have featured in two powerful advertisements that show them as they are today and what they could become with continued education.
- Pyne Must Explain Bias of Curriculum Reviewer Media Release - 4 February 2014
The Australian Education Union today called on the Education Minister Christopher Pyne to explain why he was allowing the person appointed to review the curriculum to continue to run the Liberal Party lines on Gonski funding.
- Pyne moves to widen equity gap in Australian education Media Release - 3 February 2014
The latest push by the Abbott Government towards Independent Public Schools will only widen the inequity of the Australian education system, the Australian Education Union (AEU) has warned today.
- New Report Makes Clear the Need for Full Gonski Funding Media Release - 30 January 2014
A new report to be released today calls for the Abbott Government to fully fund the Gonski reforms, warning its less than one third commitment will leave schools across the country without an adequate level of resources.
- Abbott Government must deliver on disability funding Media Release - 23 January 2014
The Australian Education Union said today the Abbott Government had to deliver on its election promise to fix the 'unfair and inequitable' funding arrangements for students with disabilities.
- Education Cuts Will Hurt School Communities Media Release - 17 December 2013
The Australian Education Union said today school communities across Australia would be affected by the more than $1.5 billion in education cuts announced by the Abbott Government.
- The Australian TAFE Teacher Spring 2013
- PM must not axe trade training centres Media Release - 16 December 2013
The Australian Education Union said any move by the Prime Minister Tony Abbott to axe the Trade Training Centres in Schools Program tomorrow would be a flagrant breach of his pre-election promise that there would be no cuts in education.
- PISA results must lead to action on school resourcing Media Release - 4 December 2013
The Australian Education Union said today the decline in student performance and widening achievement gaps revealed in PISA 2012 showed the urgent need for more equitable school funding arrangements across the country.
- Still no national agreement on Gonski Media Release - 2 December 2013
The Australian Education Union said there is still no national agreement on Gonski despite Abbott Government's attempts to claim one today.
- Unite for Quality Education – Better Education for a Better World
Education International is uniting 30 million educators, together with partner organisations and all those that support the public provision of education around the world, to ensure that quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future.
Sign-up and make a difference.