- Pyne makes another attack on Gonski with push to water down accountability for schools funding Media Release 21 October 2014
The Abbott Government's attack on Gonski schools funding is continuing – with legislation passed by the House of Representatives last night aiming to reduce accountability for how Gonski funding is allocated and spent by State Governments and private school authorities.
- New survey shows high class sizes, increasing workloads in Australian schools Media Release 19 October 2014
High class sizes and teacher workloads are the two main concerns revealed by the most recent Staff in Australia's Schools (SiAS) Report, the AEU said today.
- Pyne's Curriculum Review discredited by racist email revelations Media Release 17 October 2014
Racist emails sent by the academic charged with assessing the English curriculum have tainted the credibility of the Abbott Government's National Curriculum Review, the AEU said today.
- Education is part of the pathway out of poverty AEU Statement for Anti-Poverty Week 2014
As Australia acknowledges Anti-Poverty Week 2014, it is important to recognise the link between education and pathways out of poverty.
- Curriculum review proves to be a waste of time which will do nothing to improve schools Media Release 12 October 2014
The release of the Abbott Government's response to the review of the national curriculum has confirmed that it was simply a distraction which will do nothing to close the achievement gaps and lift overall student performance, the AEU said today.
Anti-Poverty Week is a week where all Australians are encouraged to organise or take part in an activity aiming to highlight or overcome issues of poverty and hardship here in Australia or overseas. It was established in Australia as an expansion of the UN's annual International Anti-Poverty Day on October 17. In 2014, Anti-Poverty Week will be held from the 12th to 18th October 2014.
- Abbott Government walks away from schools funding at COAG yet again Media Release 10 October 2014
The Abbott Government's refusal to discuss schools funding and the Gonski reforms at today's COAG meeting shows they are walking away from needs-based funding of Australian schools, the AEU said today.
- Premier Baird must stand up to Tony Abbott over school funding cuts at COAG Media Release 9 October 2014
NSW Premier Mike Baird must fight against funding cuts to NSW schools at tomorrow's Council of Australian Governments meeting in Canberra, the AEU said today.
- Government changes to universities will reduce teacher quality Media Release 8 October 2014
The Abbott Government's push to increase university fees and student debts and allow for-profit companies to access government funding will hurt schools by reducing teacher quality, the AEU said today.
- Abbott Government's response to Gonski Senate Inquiry
confirms broken promise to better fund students with
disability Media Release 3 October 2014
The Abbott Government's response to a Senate Inquiry recommending it implement the full
six years of Gonski funding has confirmed it will break its election promise and do nothing
about the damaging shortfall in funding for students with disability.
- SA, ACT take Minister Pyne's IPS money, but won't create Independent Public Schools Media Release 24 September 2014
Christopher Pyne's flawed Independent Public Schools policy has taken another hit, with both South Australia and the ACT accepting funding from his $70 million IPS fund without actually creating Independent Public Schools.
- Community forum to hear of Abbott Government's threat to education in Launceston Joint AEU, NTEU and United Voice Media Release 18 September 2014
Tony Abbott's cuts to education – from early childhood, through to schools, TAFEs and universities – will be addressed at a community forum in Launceston tonight.
- Community forum to hear of Abbott Government's threat to education in western Sydney Joint AEU, NTEU and United Voice Media Release 16 September 2014
Tony Abbott's cuts to education – from early childhood, through to schools, TAFEs and universities – will be addressed at a community forum in Penrith this evening.
- Community forum to hear of Abbott Government's threat to education in Townsville Joint AEU, NTEU and United Voice Media Release 15 September 2014
Tony Abbott's cuts to education – from early childhood, through to schools, TAFEs and universities – will be addressed at a community forum in Townsville this evening.
- New OECD Report shows importance of equity in schools funding Media Release 10 September 2014
The OECD's "Education at a Glance" Report, released today, demonstrates the importance of equity in delivering a high-performing education system, the AEU said today.
- Pyne's biased and secretive funding review aims to undermine needs-based schools funding Media Release 9 September 2014
Education Minister Christopher Pyne's invitation-only inquiry into the low-socioeconomic status (SES) loading, which recognises the need to devote more resources to educating students from poor families, is a biased attempt to undermine equity and needs-based schools funding, the AEU said today.
- Pyne shows true colours by trivialising needs-based schools funding Media Release 4 September 2014
The AEU has condemned Education Minister Christopher Pyne's trivialisation of needs-based schools funding in Parliament today.
| Unite for Quality Education – Better Education for a Better World|
Education International is uniting 30 million educators, together with partner organisations and all those that support the public provision of education around the world, to ensure that quality education for all remains at the top of the agenda for a sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future.
Sign-up and make a difference.