Australian Education Union


The AEU works to protect and enhance the wages and working conditions of its members in schools, TAFE institutes, Corrections Education, Adult Migrant Education Services and early childhood education centres

This work is primarily carried out at the state or territory level. If you have a concern or query about your employment or your wages and working conditions, contact your state/territory branch.

The AEU’s Industrial work includes:

  • Advising, representing and advocating on behalf of members with their employers over pay and conditions including direct negotiations with employers at the workplace and resolution of disputes in industrial and other tribunals;
  • Advising, representing and advocating for members in relation to issues arising in legislation, employer policies and professional or other regulatory standards, eg, workplace health and safety, bullying, harassment or discrimination, professional relationships with staff and students;
  • Liaison with regulatory authorities, employer and other stakeholder bodies to seek change in policy, legislation and administrative procedures;
  • Working with other unions and community groups, both in Australia and overseas, to obtain decent work and living standards for all workers and for improved civil, political, economic and cultural rights generally.

What should I be paid?

Members should always keep and regularly check their pay advice slips. Initially, any queries should be made with your workplace ‘payroll office’. For any continuing problems, contact the AEU branch office in your state or territory.

The AEU Federal Office maintains tables showing the current and immediate future salaries for teaching staff in schools and TAFE across Australia. These are collated from the various enterprise agreements or industrial awards covering teachers. Click below to see the salaries:

Detailed breakdown of weekly and/or fortnightly teaching wages may be found on the web pages of the AEU branch in your state or territory.

For salary rates for non-teaching staff in schools, for all staff in Victorian early childhood centres and for Victorian Disability Services members, please contact the AEU branch office in the relevant state or territory.

What should I do if I have a problem at work?

The AEU can assist members facing difficult issues at work including:

  • Illness, injury, damage to personal property, dangerous/inappropriate facilities;
  • Conflicts with students, work colleagues or parents/community members;
  • Facing allegations or complaints
  • Work overload, stress
  • Working ‘outside’ industrial award or agreement conditions

You don’t have to deal with these problems alone. AEU representatives can offer individual advice and support, but here are some general tips for dealing with problems or conflicts at work.

  • Don’t let the issue lie, always seek help and assistance
  • Find out your rights by checking your award or enterprise agreement
  • Report the incident, follow workplace procedures, make a summary or diary of events as soon as possible
  • Don’t go into a meeting alone – always take a support person or union representative; delay the meeting if possible to ensure you have assistance
  • Conduct all interactions professionally, with courtesy & respect. Be careful to always observe professional conduct and be wary of crossing the boundaries into personal friendships (whether ‘on-line’ or in person)
  • Always act with the permission or under the authority of your principal/manager/supervisor
  • Contact the AEU office in your state or territory for further advice and support

Recent items