TAKE ACTION NOW!
Sign the open letter to the Federal Government calling for 2 years of free public preschool for every child in Australia.
Did you know that Australia is one of the few developed countries around the world not offering two years of preschool for all children?
When children attend preschool they can expect greater academic success, have better career prospects, better health outcomes and stronger family and personal relationships.
The most transformational policy intervention the Federal Government can make is to fund two years of preschool, delivered by degree qualified teachers, for all children.
Right now, access to two years of preschool is dependent on where you live. Because some states/territories are rolling this out, while others are not.
Australia needs a national plan, so that all children around the country can access two years of high-quality public preschool, no matter where they live.
That’s why we’re asking for your help – to sign this open letter to the Federal Government:
Dear Prime Minister Anthony Albanese
High-quality early childhood education and care is a vital component of the public education system and an entitlement of all Australian children. It is integral to the educational, social, physical, and emotional development which benefits a child’s learning potential for the rest of their life.
Australia is at an important juncture. It is long past time for the Federal Government and state/territory governments to work together to invest in and reform the early childhood education and care system, so that every child has a guarantee to the best start in life.
Australia provides these guarantees when it comes to school education and healthcare, it’s time for the Federal Government to play its role as system steward and deliver a system of universal early childhood education and care that ensures inclusive and equitable quality education, and promotes lifelong learning opportunities for all.
We need a national plan to ensure that all children around the country can access two years of high-quality preschool, no matter where they happen to live.
We call on the Federal Government to prioritise high-quality and universal access to early childhood education and care by taking the following steps:
- Develop a nationally consistent approach guaranteeing two years of free public preschool for every child in Australia.
- Prioritise public provision of preschool education, including the co-location of early childhood and preschool services on public school sites, particularly in areas identified as ‘childcare deserts’.
- Invest in infrastructure to ensure high-quality teaching and learning spaces and access for all.
- Implement a strong and effective national workforce strategy for the sector.
- In partnership with the states and territories, provide full funding for dedicated public preschool, which is accessible to all children in Australia.