The Australian Education Union has more than 185,000 members nationally in schools, early childhood education centres, Corrections Education, Adult Migrant Education Services, and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes. The AEU campaigns and lobbies for increased funding and resources for TAFE institutes, improved industrial and professional conditions for TAFE teachers and improvements in vocational education for all TAFE students.
TAFE has always been a significant part of the Australian education system. Over a million students are enrolled in 58 TAFE institutes around the country across hundreds of campuses.
TAFE works with local industry, communities and other education sectors and offers a wide range of courses across most industry areas, with pathways between TAFE and schools, universities and workplaces a key focus of TAFE teachers' work. TAFE teachers are highly skilled professionals who work with a diverse range of students in classrooms, workplaces, online and in the community. TAFEs put students first and TAFE students report high levels of satisfaction. Currently, the TAFE system in Australia is a risk in a number of states and territories, from underfunding and privatisation and the AEU is lobbying for tighter standards on courses offered by private providers and a cap of a maximum 30 per cent on the amount of public funding allocated contestably. These measures are urgently needed after revelations of widespread rorting of students, and of research which shows that the for-profit sector is making between 30 and 50 per cent profit from government funding.
Join the Stop TAFE Cuts campaign.Follow the campaign on Facebook and Twitter.
For discussion, debate and information for TAFE teachers, read the Australian TAFE Teacher.
- Members speak out 20 November 2020
- The economic and social benefits of the TAFE system 11 November 2020
- The VET systems needs informed reform, not more spin 29 September 2020
- ASQU rapid review 14 September 2020
- TAFE's step up for international students 07 September 2020
- Report highlights TAFE's 92 billion economic contribution 13 August 2020
- Agile Tafe 23 July 2020
- TAFE Helps Turn Refugee Akolda Bil’s Life Around 14 July 2020
- AEU survey reveals impact of Morrison Government budget cuts on TAFE 9 July 2020