The AEU operates an International Trust Fund (ITF) to support our work outside Australia. The ITF’s objectives are:
- To promote the exchange of information and understanding between teachers and their organisations in Australia and in other countries;
- To promote the development of united and effective teachers' organisations throughout the world and to assist them in times of crisis;
- To further the development of education and the professional development of teachers;
- To seek the extension of educational opportunities to all children in the world; and
- To promote peace, international co-operation and understanding and respect of human rights.
The ITF is managed by a Trust Fund Committee comprised of the Federal President and six Delegates to the Federal Conference elected by and from the Federal Conference.
Current ITF members elected are:
- Federal President: Correna Haythorpe
- Federal Secretary: Kevin Bates
- Elected members: Pat Byrne, Meredith Peace, Henry Rajendra, Nicole Calnan
The International Trust Fund Committee determines guidelines for the conduct of projects; approves all projects; and oversees their implementation.
The AEU supports the Global Campaign for Education and works at national and international levels with other civil society organisations to call on governments to achieve Education for All.
The AEU works in partnership with our Global Union Federation, Education International, to campaign for quality public education and quality teaching in Australia and across the globe.
Search the EI project database for further details on AEU activities at Education International Development Cooporation.
As an adjunct to its International work, the AEU supports refugees through its work in a range of forums and with other organisations. We are also engaged in a small project supporting mainly Afghani refugees in Cisarua, Indonesia who have established an education centre to provide learning opportunities to refugee children who are not permitted to attend Indonesian schools. You can find out about Cisarua Refugee Learning Centre through their Facebook page.
- Transforming education 30 January 2023
- Women’s power for change, 12 December 2022
- Global moves to promote equity, 01 September 2020